As I mentioned yesterday, I found a fun little chair for the living room, something I've been looking for, for at least the last month or so. While bargain hunting for craft supplies (I was lucky enough to come across 9 small glass plates which will come in handy for the holiday season) I came across this chair in the consignment store for only $4, in need of a little love:
As you can see by the second photo, there was some rust on the frame. First, I cleaned the dust off the chair, sanded any areas that looked rough and then went to one of my favorite crafting tools - spray paint.
I used Rust-o-leum spray paint in a dark bronzed color with a hammered finish, $6 at Home Depot. The best part is that it is safe to spray right over rust and stop it from appearing again.
Before I could makeover the frame, I needed to cover the seat and back of the chair. Because the material is a flexible plastic, I was able to use painters tape ($4) for protection. With the benefit of ''clean release", I didn't have to worry about any damage to the upholstered areas. It took a while but it was worth it. I could have used newspaper for the larger areas but I didn't think of that until after.
After the first coat of spray...
After one more coat, I finally was able to peel off the tape and reveal the final results!
By the end of the day, this chair has been rejuvenated with new life and we already have the perfect spot for it.
This project took one full day and cost less than $15 - I couldn't be happier with the results. Time to do some clean up and get ready for the work week. If you attempted any new projects this weekend, I hope you were thrilled with the results too.